(b.1928 in Hamburg, Germany) received his PhD from Hamburg University in 1953. He was a member of the German Foreign Service from 1954 to 1993, working as Ambassador to Tehran (1974-77), Moscow (1977-80), and New Delhi (1990-93). From 1997 to 2001, he was Head of the OSCE Advisory and Monitoring Group in Belarus. Since 1996, he has been Chairman of the German-Indian Society (Deutsch-Indische Gesellschaft e.V.) and since 2004, Chairman of the association Human Rights in Belarus (Menschenrechte in Weißrussland e.V.).